How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 33397
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Was charged with NJ 2c:35-10a(4). What should I do?

Customer Question

Yesterday was charged with NJ 2c:35-10a(4)
Additional Information: Every lawyer I talk to wants to do so with an appointment.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
You need to get an attorney, either by hiring one or, if you can't afford to hire one, get a court appointed attorney. If you don't have a criminal record then if you didn't have a lot of marijuana the lawyer can likely get you some plea bargain that will allow you to escape having a conviction on your record. This can be a deferred adjudication or a pretrial diversion.
The potential maximum sentence depends on the specific facts of your case but you can see the actual statute at
While some people may be tempted to just accept whatever is offered and not get a lawyer that is a very dangerous thing to do now since so many people do background checks, the employers are getting much more particular about who they are hiring, it can affect you ability to get federal aid including student loans, etc.
In the scheme of things this is not as serious a crime as many others but it can still have life long effects and you should strongly consider getting a lawyer and turning it over to them.