Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

In 1995 I was charged with theft 5th degree-1978 (SMMS)

Customer Question
CHARGE 714.2 (5). I received...
In 1995 I was charged with theft 5th degree-1978 (SMMS) CHARGE 714.2 (5). I received a deferred judgement with 5 years probation. I live in Iowa how do I truly and get this off my permanent record. I can't get a decent job when employers decide to go back 20+ years
JA: You're dealing with a tough issue. But don't worry -- you're in good hands. I know the lawyer has information that can help.
Customer: Oh I get so frustrated!!
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, can't afford one due to the fact is can't get a decent job! I have had great opportunities but when they do the background check that comes up. I am very up front with that as it has been 21 years ago and I am not even that person
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I'm not sure what he/she would need. I will supply anything they neec
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
7/20/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 1 year ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

If you were given a deferred judgment and completed your sentence, you would be eligible to expunge your misdemeanor from your record in Iowa. This requires petitioning the court, and is best done by a lawyer, since there are no standard forms for it.

You can contact the Iowa Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service to find a lawyer who could do this for you, if you don't know where to start looking for one.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD