How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26832
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In 1995 I was charged with theft 5th degree-1978 (SMMS)

Customer Question

In 1995 I was charged with theft 5th degree-1978 (SMMS) CHARGE 714.2 (5). I received a deferred judgement with 5 years probation. I live in Iowa how do I truly and get this off my permanent record. I can't get a decent job when employers decide to go back 20+ years
JA: You're dealing with a tough issue. But don't worry -- you're in good hands. I know the lawyer has information that can help.
Customer: Oh I get so frustrated!!
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, can't afford one due to the fact is can't get a decent job! I have had great opportunities but when they do the background check that comes up. I am very up front with that as it has been 21 years ago and I am not even that person
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I'm not sure what he/she would need. I will supply anything they neec
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


If you were given a deferred judgment and completed your sentence, you would be eligible to expunge your misdemeanor from your record in Iowa. This requires petitioning the court, and is best done by a lawyer, since there are no standard forms for it.

You can contact the Iowa Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service to find a lawyer who could do this for you, if you don't know where to start looking for one.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Related Criminal Law Questions