How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 116728
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm on a 10 year suspended sentence and I ts only been a

Customer Question

I'm on a 10 year suspended sentence for drugs and I ts only been a year and a couple months and I just caught a new poss. Cds charge and wanna know are they gonna reinstate it or will I just get prison time. I have been cooperative in my probation and I live in oklahoma city
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, you do face jail time for getting a new charge while on probation/suspended sentence. Generally, if you are convicted on the new charge, you are looking at a probation violation and that means the judge could impose a separate sentence on you of up to 4-6 years on that charge (it can be less if the judge is in a good mood) plus a separate sentence on the new conviction.
The good news is that if this is a first violation, the court can be convinced by your attorney to give minimal jail and mandatory drug rehab on a first offense and most times the courts will impose some type of inpatient and outpatient rehab and a fine instead of prison time. A subsequent offense will not get the same treatment.

Related Criminal Law Questions