How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 16623
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex girlfriend stopped talking to me suddenly and I heard

Customer Question

My ex girlfriend stopped talking to me suddenly and I heard that she is accusing me of sexual assault (which is not true). I heard that she went to the police. Yet I have not been contacted at all and it has been a month.Is there a way to find out the truth? Is there a way to get her to talk tomelike with a subpoena? Can I sue for defamation?It is in Maryland.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, generally, if the assault was reported to the police, the police report would be made confidential while criminal investigation is being conducted and would not be available to public, including the alleged suspect, unless criminal charges are filed against the suspect.

Also, if one adult person does not want to talk to her adult ex, not only such adult cannot be forced to talk to anyone, but it would be a good idea not to contact an ex, who doesn't wish to communicate, since unwanted contact can also result in potential harassment and / or stalking charges.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But if I am mentioned in the report, can I not request access to it?Why would the police not have contacted me yet?
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your follow up.

I will be happy to answer your new questions, once my original answer is positively rated and accepted.

Thank you.