How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26763
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In 1979 I was charged with stealing car and taking across

Customer Question

In 1979 I was charged with stealing car and taking across state lines. I server 5 years probation and was let off probation in 3 1/2 years at recommendation of probation officer. The probation officer told me as far as he knew I could hunt and own guns. he new my family owned ranch, etc. I then proceeded to operate a hunting business all across Texas and always had guns in my truck. Now I find out I was never supposed to do that and could have gone to prison. I've never been in any trouble since whatsoever. How does someone go about trying to get a governor to padrone them?
JA: Probation issues can be stressful, but getting correct information is key to getting control of a situation. Fortunately, the attorneys have a lot of experience with this, and I'd love to connect you with the best fit.
Customer: do you know an attorney who will give free initial consultation in Texas?
JA: The Criminal Lawyer's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: So whats the next step and what can I expect to pay?
JA: PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine.
Customer: Amount?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I raised 2 kids on my own from the time they were 8 and 10. Both have been model kids, one graduated from UT w Honors and one is successful welder for dept of defense company.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


If yours was a Texas conviction in state court, you'd apply for a pardon from the governor of the state. No lawyer is necessary to apply for the pardon and it is free. THe application form and instructions are on line, and I am linking you to them here.

If yours was a conviction in Federal Court, a pardon from the governor of Texas will not get you back your rights, since it was not the state of Texas that took them away from you in the first place. You'd have to apply to the President of the United States for a pardon. You would do that through the Pardon Attorney in the Department of Justice. Once again, no lawyer is necessary, and it's free to apply. You can learn more about the process and get the application here.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.