How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26818
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm on probation but I need. To travel to Cuba because of

Customer Question

Hi I'm on probation for 18months but I need. To travel to Cuba because of family emergency will I be able to go '' if there anything I can do thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


You need to ask permission of your probation officer. Be prepared to document the family emergency. If he or she denies you, get your lawyer and take the matter to the judge. If you can document the emergency, most probation officers and/or judges are reasonable.

If you leave the country without permission and your PO finds out, you'll be violated and can be arrested when you try to enter the country.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ask my lawyer and she called the judge office and they tall her that the probation oficer was the one to aprove me ,,so I called the probetion oficer and he tall me that the judge was the one to aprove me ,,so I don't know what to do
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Your lawyer should be able to straighten this out for you. The important thing is to be able to show a real emergency.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought about writing a letter to the judge
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

You have a lawyer. Let your lawyer negotiate this. Otherwise, a judge may decide not to even read your letter because he's not allowed to have ex parte communication. And he may just hand it over to your lawyer, which will waste tim.

Talk to your lawyer. Your lawyer can get you and your probation officer back before the judge where you can document your emergency and the court and probation can come to an agreement.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Related Criminal Law Questions