How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26785
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What's the usual sentence first-time offender?

Customer Question

What's the usual sentence for a first-time offender?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


It depends upon the crime, but non-violent misdemeanor and felony defendants can almost always avoid a jail sentence and generally would be looking at nothing worse than probation.

If you told me what this person was charged with, I could be more specific.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am getting answers from 2 different lawyers??
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

You appear to have asked two different questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok.. the crime is first time domestic violence but not serious since the person does not want to press charges but dared her partner she would call the police becuz they were fighting..and she did.. she is out f the house now..
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

If there were no serious injuries or weapons used, on a first offense the defendant would likely be offered community supervision and anger management. It's possible that the DA would even agree to a deferred adjudication where the case could be dismissed after the successful completion of the supervision period.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there was no weapons or any serious physical damage, so i would think he would get a anger management program..
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

In my experience, when the DV case isn't very serious and it's a first offense, yes, he could get an offer of supervision and an anger management program. Whether he will want that offer or whether he would rather fight the case is an entirely different matter and will be up to the defendant.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Related Criminal Law Questions