Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

What's the usual sentence first-time offender?

Customer Question
What's the usual sentence for...
What's the usual sentence for a first-time offender?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
7/13/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 1 year ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

It depends upon the crime, but non-violent misdemeanor and felony defendants can almost always avoid a jail sentence and generally would be looking at nothing worse than probation.

If you told me what this person was charged with, I could be more specific.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am getting answers from 2 different lawyers??

You appear to have asked two different questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok.. the crime is first time domestic violence but not serious since the person does not want to press charges but dared her partner she would call the police becuz they were fighting..and she did.. she is out f the house now..

If there were no serious injuries or weapons used, on a first offense the defendant would likely be offered community supervision and anger management. It's possible that the DA would even agree to a deferred adjudication where the case could be dismissed after the successful completion of the supervision period.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there was no weapons or any serious physical damage, so i would think he would get a anger management program..

In my experience, when the DV case isn't very serious and it's a first offense, yes, he could get an offer of supervision and an anger management program. Whether he will want that offer or whether he would rather fight the case is an entirely different matter and will be up to the defendant.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD