How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 9907
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 20 yr old son got s 16 yr old gf prego. she will be 17 n

Customer Question

my 20 yr old son got his 16 yr old gf prego. she will be 17 n Oct and he will be 21 in August. she is only 4 weeks prego. can her parents press charges. it will consentual sex
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: arkansas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: the girl wants Emancipated also but don't know if she can
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: not yet. I ask a deputy here and he said as long as it was consentual ans she was over 16 they can't press charges
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

The age of consent in Arkansas is age 16 according to Arkansas Code chapter 14, sections 5-14. As such, one cannot be arrested.

As for emancipation, here is the packet for that:

Generally the court will allow a person who is a parent, or a person who is married, to be emancipated.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

Checking in on the above;

thank you for using Just Answer!