How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 116757
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 60 year old former medical student with a BS degree

Customer Question

I am a 60 year old former medical student with a BS degree who worked in social services with developmentally disabled adults for 25+ years. In 2009 I lost my job, which resulted in losing my family home and new vehicle. I a year later became homeless. Because of this I was harassed and targeted and resulted in a small handful of petty arrest and 2 convictions for disorderly. I had left Chicagoland and drove as far as I could and when my vehicle broke down in Oklahoma I began to walk back. Recently I was unable to seal these petty offenses that were more than questionable as when I walked through Collinsville I was stopped and arrested. When attempting to seal I discovered they had a warrant and had fabricated charges of resisting arrest, assaulted and battery of a police officer. None of which occurred because they released and let me walk back. These charges are false and with or without a lawyer I will file federal charges against them. No rights were read no charges given they did not tell the truth. Seven officers surrounded me and I complied. If there was any truth to their complaint I would not have been released. Now it hovers over my head and is a type of lynching and defamation to my character. I am seeking to right this and address it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your question for us regarding this matter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to file a federal suit per se. Can they get away with what they have done. I did not resist or assault anyone they lied about the interaction to justify putting me in jail.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
No, if you can prove that there was no reason for the arrest or charges and the charges were false, you can sue for false imprisonment/arrest and for civil rights violations under 42 USC 1983.
Here is the best pro se manual out of all of the US District Courts, it does not matter it is from Massachusetts, all the US courts are the same and you just need to modify the form to indicate the name of the proper state you are in. See: