How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Hammer O'Justice Your Own Question
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4497
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Hammer O'Justice is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need a lawyer in potowatamie Iowa to appear in court

Customer Question

I need a lawyer in potowatamie Iowa to appear in court for me tomorrow for a misdemeanor possession of marijuana charge allegedly
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: This is in Iowa I was pulled over by a K-9 unit and he asked to search my car. I said no then I got detained
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No,
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: This is my first charge. This can not go on my record
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 1 year ago.


This is a site for lawyers to answer your questions. We cannot represent you here. When you go to court you can ask for a postponement to obtain counsel, which a judge will typically give you on a first court date. If you cannot afford an attorney yourself you may also want to put in a request to have the court appoint you an attorney or public defender.

You may have a defense to use at trial if the search was unreasonable, and if not, as a first offense, there are outcomes that you are probably eligible for that will keep the conviction off of your record. There is something called a diversion program where the case is postponed for you to complete the requirements (usually a drug class and/or some community service) and is dismissed upon successful completion. This keeps a conviction off of your record.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in Chicago I can't go to court
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 1 year ago.

In that case, I would try to call the court to see if it can get postponed due to your living out of state. Most judges require a written or in-person postponement request but given the fact that you don't live in state they may entertain the request anyway. You will likely have to show up at court at some point if not tomorrow to resolve this issue. If you cannot get a postponement via telephone tomorrow, it is possible the court will issue a bench warrant for your arrest and then you will have to file a motion to quash the warrant.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 1 year ago.

No problem. Good luck. Please leave a positive rating so I get credit for my response. Take care.

Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 1 year ago.

I noticed you haven't rated me yet. Was there additional information you needed? Were you able to resolve the issue?