How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 117375
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is gong to cout burglar and drug charge with residue.

Customer Question

My son is gong to cout for simple burglar and drug charge with residue. They is offering him 6 years ,what's the doc time in that
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Offer him 13 years but have to serve 6 years. What doc time in 6 years in Louisiana?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes, but public defender, he not returning my calls
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: 12 years but will do 6 years straight time.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: He been in they a year already
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are in the state of Louisiana and this is his second simply bugular charge. His wife call he over to the house on pay day then call yhe police on him. He has 2 children , the lawyer can rquest something where he will not have to do straigh time on 6 years. He has a drug problem also.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was in a clinic getting help before this happen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If he was convicted of LA RS 14:62, then the sentence is without benefit of parole or reduction of sentence. He would accumulate good time for good behavior of 30 days for every 30 days of good behavior. So realistically, he could get out in 3 years or so with good behavior.
§571.3. Diminution of sentence for good behavior
A.(1) Every prisoner in a parish prison convicted of an offense and sentenced to imprisonment without hard labor, except a prisoner convicted a second time of a crime of violence as defined by R.S. 14:2(B) or when the sentencing court has denied or conditioned eligibility for "good time" as provided in R.S. 15:537, may earn a diminution of sentence, to be known as "good time", by good behavior and performance of work or self-improvement activities, or both. The amount of diminution of sentence allowed under this Paragraph shall be at the rate of thirty days for every thirty days in actual custody, except for a prisoner convicted a first time of a crime of violence, as defined in R.S. 14:2(B), who shall earn diminution of sentence at the rate of three days for every seventeen days in actual custody, including in either case time spent in custody with good behavior prior to sentence for which the prisoner is given credit.