Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

19 years ago I was convicted intent to deliver,was given 10

Customer Question
19 years ago I was...
19 years ago I was convicted for possession intent to deliver,was given 10 years shock probation did my probation and fines and community service was told I had deferred Judi fixation does a judge have to grant that.thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
7/7/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

A deferred adjudication is not a right. It is a plea deal the ADA (assistant district attorney, i.e. the prosecutor) can extend to you. Deferred adjudication means that if you finish a probationary period without getting into trouble, having clean UAs, doing some community hours, and taking a class or two, the case will be dismissed.

This is not a right, but an ADA normally offers this to people with low/no criminal history and no violent crime.

It is the ADA who decides whether to offer this, or not. The Judge will normally sign off on this assuming you take the plea deal.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Ely, Counselor at Law