Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

If you announce to your family that you have done something

Customer Question

If you announce to your family that you have done something to harm yourself, and they do nothing, is that criminal?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

How old are you? Do you live with your family?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
62 yrs. old, and live with a husband and 2 adult children, 30 & 25.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am online now.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the response.

No. There would be no criminal culpability there unless they aid you in harming yourself.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if you announce to them you have taken 180 units of insulin, and they retire to their rooms and leave you in yours, and you have to call the ambulance yourself before you pass out, 30 minutes after they know, there is no wrong doing on their part?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bearing in mind, this behavior over a long period of time, coupled with them constantly wishing you dead, might have had something to do with the act in the first place?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

There may possibly be some civil liability, but I don't see any criminal culpability. You could report this to the police if you feel otherwise, but I don't see how they are criminally responsible for your actions.