How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3169
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am writing to try to get you to please look into my cousin

Customer Question

Hello I am writing to try to get you to please look into my cousin Jamel B*** Case before you leave office. He was convicted of a crime at the age of 14 as an adult. No one was killed and he has served 30 years of an 120 year crime. His sentence is considered unconstitutional based on the Supreme's court decision in Graham v Florida and Miller v Alabama. His sentence violates Illinois Constitution proportionate penalties clause because he was sentenced 30 years more than his co-defendant and he was 19 years old during the time of the crime. More over; there is no other juvenile who was prosecuted as an adult in Illinois still incarcerated for non-homicide offense. The charges was 6 counts of armed violence. At the age of 14 my cousin had an IQ of an 10 year old. He was suppose to have brief on 07/05/16. But his public defender is asking for an 4 month extension which is not fair. I feel he is being treated this way because we do not have the funds to hire a private lawyer. So I'm writing this letter just to see if someone could at least look into this. He is housed at Menard Correctional Facility Inmate # *******. A few more things that I should point out as to why I am asking for an immediate release on his behalf:
1. My cousin Jamel B*** as shown remorse for the crime he committed. He has apologized numerous times to victims even pleading guilty to the crime which at the time he thought was a 30 year sentence.
My cousin Jamel B*** has shown rehabilitative potential by acquiring his GED, securing over 60 credit hours of college academic and vocational training. He has completed substance abuse and anger management programs. He also has certificates of completion for restorative justice programs and Bible study institutes.
3. My cousin Jamel B*** 120 year sentence does not comport with Article 1, Section 11 of the state of Illinois Constitution, Or the 8th amendment of the US Constitution that guarantees safety against cruel and unusual punishments via disproportionate sentences
I am desperate Please someone help me
my name is********(*****@******.***)(###) ###-####
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.
I am afraid that state law forbids any expert on this site from actually representing you or any other customer on the site. If you need local counsel, please use the same sites used by other attorneys, or
You may contact customer service at to ask for a refund of any deposit if you like or at***@******.*** or you can call Just Answer customer service at(###) ###-####