How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 16713
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can one seek assistance from a public defender or other

Customer Question

How can one seek assistance from a public defender or other attorney if one has been served with a notice to appear before a grand jury at 1330 Wednesday in Brooklyn heights . The notice does not say whether It is as a witness or a target but funds are limited and one lawyer quoted 10k just For an initial appt which Is way beyond funds available. Could you suggest whom to contact to seek advice . Thanks
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: New york
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No he wanted 10k!
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: The grand jury could be sitting in respect to a prostitution ring
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Unfortunately, someone who has not been charged with a crime, would not be entitled to any type of free public defended, until and unless the person is in fact charged with the crime, so the only option would be for the person subject to a grand jury inquiry is to either hire a local criminal defense attorney or to appear without an attorney and then plead the fifth if any questions asked could be of incriminating nature.

It does appear that a fee of $10,000 to attend grand jury hearing is extremely excessive, so I would suggest that you contact several local criminal defense attorney and compare their quotes for fees and also their training, experience, education, etc...

You can find an experienced and skilled local criminal law attorney by using this established and reputable attorney information / referral websites:
When, choosing a local attorney to represent you, it would be a good idea to choose someone who has a practice exclusively dedicated to criminal law, has at least 10 years of experience and handled similar matters and also regularly practices before the court located in the jurisdiction where your matter might be heard.
I wish you the best of luck!

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.