How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27767
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This may be a complicated question. I have a friend who

Customer Question

This may be a complicated question. I have a friend who wants to obtain a copy of his criminal record, to see if he can get it expunged. He does not live in the US, he grew up in Philadelphia. He came to the US with his family, when he was about 4. He never became a US citizen unfortunately. He was deported about 10-12 years ago. Shahid tried to request a copy of his record online, he was denied, because of the 'region' he lives in (Pakistan). His mom can probably obtain a copy of his record for him, with his written permission. Is there a special form that he needs to fill out (I or his mom would send it to him to fill out) or if he writes a hand written that sufficient legally to give his mom permission to get a copy of his record for him? His mom lives in Philadelphia.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


Was his conviction in Pennsylvania? What was his conviction for?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

I was hoping to get a response from you before providing you with an answer.

If your friend's conviction was either a Pennsylvania misdemeanor or a Pennsylvania felony, he is not probably not eligible for an expungement. Pennsylvania will expunge summary offenses. However, in order to be eligible for an expungement of a misdemeanor or a felony in Pennsylvania, a defendant has to either have been dead for three years or be 70 years old and have been out of further difficulty with the law for 10 years before filing for the expungement. I suspect that neither of these two exceptions applies to your friend.

He cannot get his criminal history online but he can get himself fingerprinted and order it via the mail directly from the FBI. This will help him if his conviction was for a summary offense, since that can be expunged. Otherwise, he won't be eligible to expunge his record until he reaches 70 years old.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.