How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I moved from another state to here. I was a tier 1 when I

Customer Question

I moved from another state to here. I was a tier 1 when I 1st arrived, now they are saying I'm a tier 3. I've been compliant and broke no laws. My crime has nothing to do with children. How can they just change my tier?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel. Apparently, there was a law change. It also was challenged in the courts. But the courts ruled the change can be mandated. Please see this LINK for a most recent news account of how the matter has been brought to court. I suggest you might want to contact the Attorney named for the Plaintiffs and discuss this matter.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

And at this LINK you can read the NV Assembly Bill 579 as referenced. That was the bill that was then passed into law which allows the changes on the Tiers.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

If your crime and conviction does not meet the criteria as set forth in the Bill, I suggest you consider contacting the attorney for the plaintiffs mentioned in the news account as it seems she is familiar with the matter at hand.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

I also suggest it may be possible for you as a "tier one" to still petition the court to be removed from registration as long as you have been crime free for the past 10 years. You can review this LINK for the memo which mentions the following:

Under A.B 579, Tier I offenders must register for 15 years but may petition

for early release after 10 consecutive years without a conviction for a new

felony or sexual offense, and successful completion of any probationary or

parole terms and a certified sex offender treatment program.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Please take time to review at least the last blue link on the memo. Read the "misconceptions" and then if you have other questions, please let me know here. You say your crime did not involve a minor - so there may be some latitude for you in that regard.