Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

I got fired from my job back in April 2016 and had to use

Customer Question

I got fired from my job back in April 2016 and had to use money I put in a savings account I opened to pay for rent and other expenses. The savings account was opened with a check my health insurance company sent me. Now I get a letter in the mail from a doctor saying to forward the money to him itis $3,500 dollars. I am scared that I can wind up in jail because I don't have the money to pay the doctor $3,500 all at once what can I do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am not permitted to tell JustAnswer.com what to do in their specific situation or list all of the legal rights / legal options that might potentially apply in any specific situation, as such legal advice can only be provided by your local attorney, upon review of your entire case.

I can however, provide you with a general answer, if you have a legal question for me?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My legal question is did i commit.a fraudulent act and can i go to jail?

Thank you for your follow up.

I can't comment on your specific case, but generally, if an insured accepts a check for medical services provided by a medical provider and the cashes / deposits the check and fails to use funds to pay the medical provider, such action can be construed as insurance fraud and can subject insured to criminal felony charges for insurance fraud.

So generally, it is very important to pay the medical provider the entire amount of the bill for which insured made claim and received funds from the insurance company as soon as possible, in order to avoid potential serious criminal charges.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My follow up question would be howis it fraud when the check was made out to me only and not a doctor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not cash a check in someone elses ne

Thank you for your follow up.

When insured makes a claim with his/her insurance company, the insured makes a statement that there is an outstanding medical bill that is covered by the insured and owed to the doctor.

The insurance company makes the payment on the insurance claim, relying on the statement of claim and under the assurance form the insured that the funds will be used / forwarded to pay for the medical bill and not misappropriated by the insured for his/her personal needs.

I wish you the best of luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much jail time could i be looking at?

Thank you for your follow up.

I cannot comment on your specific case, but penalties upon conviction can vary on many factors, such as if the insurance fraud is charged under state or federal law and can range from no jail time to years in prison and heavy fines.

I wish you the best of luck!