How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Does a guilty plea generally help or hurt someone?

Customer Question

Does a guilty plea generally help or hurt someone?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

A "guilty" plea means that the defendant admits to the conduct, as well as the legal conclusion that the actions were against the law. The defendant waives any defenses to the case and allows the court to impose penalties according to the charges as identified by the prosecutor's office.

A "no contest" plea is very similar to a "guilty" plea, with the significant exception that the defendant is not admitting to anything, they are simply stating that they are not going to defend themselves. The court will then move forward imposing penalties just as in a guilty plea.

A "not guilty" plea is where the defendant contests the charges imposed against them (either due to facts or to legal conclusion - the plea does not have to make a distinction), and the matter will proceed towards trial.

I would not recommend making a "guilty" plea without thoroughly consulting with a local criminal defense attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, you are entitled to have one appointed to you by the court. Contact your local public defender's office and ask them to assign you an attorney.