Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  16 years practicing criminal defense.
19958803

My 27 year old son wrecked my car, can I be held liable that

Customer Question

my 27 year old son wrecked my car, can I be held liable for damages that my insurance doesn't pay? In Louisiana
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

can I be held liable for damages that my insurance doesn't pay?

.

Potentially. As the owner of the vehicle, you could be secondarily liable if the insurance doesn't pay for any damages or injuries and they sue son, and you as the owner, for anything over policy limits of your insurance. They could sue you for "negligent entrustment" for letting son drive your car. Now you may not be found liable, and the insurer has to provide an attorney to defend you, but they can try to sue you.

.

But typically, insurance companies are pretty good at defending customers and unless there were severe personal injuries, most accident damages don't go over policy limits.

.

.

thanks

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

thanks