How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27189
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

40 years ago I left ca after being a first time offender by

Customer Question

40 years ago I left ca after being a first time offender by taking my husbands gun from the house and pawning it; husband filed charges against me. I fled for fear of my life and never looked back. Now I applied for a cow and now was turned down for felony conviction, can I still go to jail?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Just to be clear, was the case ever resolved? Also, what is your concern regarding jail? You shared you applied for a "cow"?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I applied for a concealed carry weapons permit for personal protection. This is how I found out that something in 1977 was not resolved
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

If the case was not resolved and is still open, then there could be an active warrant. You want and need to call the clerk of court in the county where the case was filed and speak with them or look online. If this was never resolved, then there should not be a conviction. When a felony is open, it will remain open until you appear before the court to resolve this. The open felony case may have been the basis for the denial but you do need to resolve this. Seeing how old the case it, it is likely that if you do appear and contest this, you will prevail, since the evidence, victim and any other parties are no longer living, can be found or even remember and the State may have to dismiss the case.

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or concerns. I am here to help, so pleas just let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no warrant just a record of a conviction
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.
what was the sentence ?