How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 40993
Experience:  licensed attorney in criminjal law for 30 years
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A minor texted me explicit pictures and I was unaware she

Customer Question

A minor texted me explicit pictures and I was unaware she was a minor
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: florida
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Give me a minute to respond,thanks

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Here I would ditch your pc or phone because the police can use it against you here.The fact that you did not know they were a minor will not save you in Florida.Change your passwords on a new phone or pc, put as much distance as you can between you and this person here.

Under Florida law the creation, distribution or possession of images of a minor engaged in a sexually explicit act may be prosecuted under the State’s child pornography laws and if convicted, may serve up to 15 years in jail and be required to register as a sex offender.

It's a felony and you would have to register as sex offender if convicted.Again getting rid of the pc or the phone and the hard drive or chips is the best you can do here and have no more contact whatsoever.You hope time here is on your side but make sure you have no links to this person here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My phone was stolen the other night and I believe someone else did this. is that a plausible defense?
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Maybe but you need to report the theft here to the police and get case number ***** you want to claim that.Get a new phone here.Best you can do and hope time takes care of it.Lay low for awhile after this.Stay off the texting and email, facebook, let it die down.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how common it is for things like this to escalate?
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

It is not unless the parents get involved and turn you in here.Otherwise it is not a big deal, too many of these happen everyday.You just change your passwords here, close down the old cell phone as stolen , lay low for awhile and time takes came of it.Best you can do in this matter.Say 99 out of 100 of these go away.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Thanks again for the chance to help.

If you can positive rate when we are done it is always much appreciated.