How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27591
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a DUI with 1 year probation. I am 3 months into my

Customer Question

I have a DUI with 1 year probation. I am 3 months into my probstion, taking classes, doing the right thing, but I need to be on a rehab program...I know myself. Because of my lack of funds and being a diabetic, I need a program that is free and offers health care. I found another state. I want to ask to have my probation transferred but if my P.O. says no, I'm scared I'll violate probation and worse, even die. What would happen if I just left for a year and came back clean and sober?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If you leave and fail to report/return, you have violated, since probation will determine you absconded. It will not matter if you come back clean and sober, since a warrant will be issued for your arrest. In a situation like this, if your PO says no, then you would need to file a motion with the court and ask the Judge to allow you to relocate and transfer your probation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have to have an attorney to file that motion?
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

No, you do not. You can file it on your own. It would be a motion to transfer probation and in the body of the motion, you want to show and convince the Judge that there is a need to relocate out of state, for treatment.

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!