Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My friend told me he has a restraining order on me, but i

Customer Question
my friend told me he...
my friend told me he has a restraining order on me
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: but i have not got an
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: i was rape by this man
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/25/2016
Criminal Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you.

So I can better assist you, I need a little more information first, please.

What state is this in?

Have you gotten anything from the court regarding a restraining order?

Why would this person want a restraining order against you? For example, has their been violence between the two of you? Was he a boyfriend, spouse, etc?

What is your specific legal question about the restraining order I may answer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this is in missouri, no because i have been trying to get a hold of him because i am pregnet . nothing from the court. what should i do about the rape

Thank you for your reply.

I am truly very sorry to hear what happened to you. You can certainly call the Clerk of Court and find out if there is in fact a restraining order. Normally what would happen when someone applies for a restraining order is that they will seek a temporary order "ex-parte" meaning without notice to the party they are seeking the order against -claiming that they are being harassed or stalked or abused, etc. Since it's a temporary order pending a final hearing, judges more often then not will issue a temporary restraining order until a hearing can be held and you can appear and give your side of the story. That temporary order would have been delivered to you, normally by a sheriff. So...I don't know if this person is putting you on or not. The Clerk of Court should be able to look it up.

As for the rape, as you know, that's a criminal offense. While a private citizen cannot press charges (the police can arrest and the prosecutor's office has final say about filing charges) you should definitely make it a priority to report the matter to the authorities. This person belongs in jail.

Certainly once the child is born you can petition the court for DNA testing to determine paternity (since I doubt he will admit it) and a support order can be entered for the child -even if he is incarcerated at the time.

Did you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars,as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating.Thank you!

Was there any additional information or clarification you needed about this question?

I would ask that if I have answered your question to your satisfaction that you kindly leave a positive rating for me now by clicking on the stars so that I am paid for my time and assistance to you. Thank you!

RobertJDFL, Lawyer