How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttyHeather Your Own Question
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 677
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
AttyHeather is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am being accused by my wife of assault that she claims

Customer Question

I am being accused by my wife of assault that she claims happened 18 months ago. I told her I wanted a divorce and she called the police and told them this. I haven't been arrested but don't know what I should expect?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Florida, 18 or 19 months ago, so she says......
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: yes
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: To flee the country....
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: That this site is a joke
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Heather, an attorney with 15 years experience and I'll be assisting you for informational purposes.

It's likely that if it's just her statement and nothing more, then the most the police will do is come and question you to see if you admit to the assault. If you do not, and there is nothing more than her statement, then they will probably not do much because she waited so long and doesn't have any solid evidence.

If, on the other hand, there are credible witnesses to her injuries, of if she has photos depicting the injuries, or hospital or doctor records, then the police will take her complaint more seriously. Although her allegations would be much weaker because she waited so long to say anything.

I hope I have given you helpful assistance.

Related Criminal Law Questions