Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I was charged & convicted shoplifting charge about 27 years

Customer Question
I was charged & convicted...
I was charged & convicted for a shoplifting charge about 27 years ago and had to spend two weekends in jail and was also fingerprinted. Will this hurt me applying for any office work? I was just hired for a position but they are running a background check? Will this show up on the report?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/24/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Roger, Lawyer

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

If you have a conviction on your record, misdemeanor or felony, it remains on your record for life.....so it is certainly in your background history, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will show up on a background check. This is so because many background reporting agencies only search for felony convictions, and some only search for a certain number of years -- such as a 10 year period. So, it is possible that it may not appear, but it certainly can show up because it's there for life.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Iran a background check myself and saw nothing of this charge.

That's not unlikely for the reasons stated above......and hopefully the service that your employer uses for the background check has the same result.

If you are asked about criminal history or convictions, you'd certainly have to be honest about this issue --- but if they don't ask and the background inquiry checks out, it may be that this causes you no trouble.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!

Roger, Lawyer