How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3149
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Crazy situation. I had a federal background check done in

Customer Question

Crazy situation. I had a federal background check done in order to get my drivers license reinstated in NC. The background check showed a marijuana possession ticket from 15 years ago in Virginia with no resolution. I received the ticket 15 years ago, took some classes, had unsupervised probation and the ticket was resolved. However, the resolution did not show up on the federal background check. My case officer in NC says this counts as a pending charge. I called the clerk of court in Virginia and they have no record of this ticket. They faxed a letter to my case officer here in NC stating that I had no pending charges. However, because the federal background check did not show the resolution of the charge, the case officer still considers the charge pending. I have no idea what to do now.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I will help you with your questions. I have been an attorney for 27 years and I was a prosecutor for 9 years.

If this is showing up on your background check, there has to be a record in the court archives. Also, if you were on unsupervised probation, the probation department may have records on this.

If you tell me the name of the court in Virginia, I may be able to help you more.

Related Criminal Law Questions