How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27467
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a son who was arrested in GA property

Customer Question

I have a son who was arrested in GA for theft property conversion/reckless driving and offered a cash bond of $2,500.00. He was appointed a public defender and was scheduled for a preliminary hearing, but he refused the public defender at that time. Is he entitled to another PD?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Georgia (GA)
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

If he decided he wanted to represent himself but changed his mind, he can ask the judge to appoint him another free lawyer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Who will notify him before he goes before a judge again?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

He should already know the date of his next court appearance, as it is put on the record what the next date will be. His commitment card will be marked with that date so that the Department of Corrections will know to produce him.

If he makes bail, he can call the court and ask the clerk when his court date it, as it will be in the court computer.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.