How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 116756
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am seeking information about convicted felons who are not

Customer Question

I am seeking information about convicted felons who are not currently incarcerated. I am working on a research project where I will reach out to felons who are not in prison, and invite them to participate in paid research studies. I have heard that some states make available lists of convicted criminals who are not in prison - such as Ohio's website that provides the name and date of birth of all offenders on parole or probation. I am wondering what information is available in each state. Are there any states that will provide addresses or phone numbers for ex-convicts? Will every state provide names and date of birth? Is there another source that could help me acquire a list of such individuals, along with current or recent contact information? How much do states or offices charge for this information? I've been calling state-level justice departments one-by-one, but am not sure of the right questions to ask, or what files I should be asking for. I'm hoping someone with experience in the criminal justice system can give me some basic information about what type of information is available in each state, and how to go about requesting it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You would have to make public information requests from each state for those offenders not currently on probation or parole. Once off probation or parole, the only information you would get typically is name and date of birth and offense of the convicted felon. They typically will not release the information on addresses. Each state is different and we cannot research each state to find out the charge from the state. The records are typically kept by the state police in their criminal database and they each can impose their own fee for the time to answer your request for public information, which you have to send to them in writing stating you are requesting the information (specify exactly what you are looking for) under the Public Records/Freedom of information act. You can ask for addresses in your request, most states will not provide them though.
Unfortunately, there is no one national database, so you are going to have to go state by state through the department of justice or the state police who run the state criminal database.