Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I need help : Tx : No mam : I was involved in a t and run

Customer Question
I need help JA: Because laws...
I need help
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Tx
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No mam
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I was involved in a hit and run
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/16/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 1 year ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law

Hello

​This is Samuel.

I am sorry to hear of this situation. Can you tell me more and also what information can I provide for you? What is the question in this regard?

Were there any injuries?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No there are no injuries

Thank you. Please tell me what information I can provide for you in this regard?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I hit and ran but I got a letter sent to me, I don't want to go to jail at all

Thank you. What does the letter say? Did you hit and run from another car or what was it you hit? I apologize for all the questions, but I need to know what is going on to help you. Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They hit me, the letter says that if I don't act on the situation they will arrest me, it's telling me to fill out my information and it has my liscence plate number and where everything happened

Ok. Thank you. This would not be a Hit and Run, but rather Leaving the Scene and it is governed under TX statute

Sec. 550.022. ACCIDENT INVOLVING DAMAGE TO VEHICLE. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), the operator of a vehicle involved in an accident resulting only in damage to a vehicle that is driven or attended by a person shall:

(1) immediately stop the vehicle at the scene of the accident or as close as possible to the scene of the accident without obstructing traffic more than is necessary;

(2) immediately return to the scene of the accident if the vehicle is not stopped at the scene of the accident; and

(3) remain at the scene of the accident until the operator complies with the requirements of Section 550.023.

(b) If an accident occurs on a main lane, ramp, shoulder, median, or adjacent area of a freeway in a metropolitan area and each vehicle involved can be normally and safely driven, each operator shall move the operator's vehicle as soon as possible to a designated accident investigation site, if available, a location on the frontage road, the nearest suitable cross street, or other suitable location to complete the requirements of Section 550.023 and minimize interference with freeway traffic.

(c) A person commits an offense if the person does not stop or does not comply with the requirements of Subsection (a). An offense under this subsection is:

(1) a Class C misdemeanor, if the damage to all vehicles is less than $200; or

(2) a Class B misdemeanor, if the damage to all vehicles is $200 or more.

(c-1) A person commits an offense if the person does not comply with the requirements of Subsection (b). An offense under this subsection is a Class C misdemeanor.

(d) In this section, a vehicle can be normally and safely driven only if the vehicle:

(1) does not require towing; and

(2) can be operated under its own power and in its usual manner, without additional damage or hazard to the vehicle, other traffic, or the roadway.

I suggest you will want to fill out the required paperwork. If you are uncomfortable with that then I suggest you consider consultation with a local attorney who can assist you with that.

Please let me know, if you have other questions in this regard. Otherwise, I would appreciate a positive rating as that ensures I get credit for my time and information. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well in the in event she hit me at the light, I asked her for her information she couldn't understand me and when I said insurance she said ok, we both went to our car and she got in hers, I drove off
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The next day I called my insurance and lied

Ok. So you can tell the police that she wasn't comprehending you and that you contacted your insurance company the next day.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I didn't expect to get a letter 2 weeks later

​Well, the insurance company may require a police report be filed. It is in the law. And it could be her insurance company has told your insurance company that you left the scene.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But I told the insurance that it happened at a different location and I didn't know who the driver was

The letter just is asking you to make the report - correct? You can contact your insurance company and tell them that you now have a letter to answer with a report.

Why would you tell them it happened some place else?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I told them it happened at the movies and when I came out of the moviesI saw the dent in my car, the stories won't even coencide, I just want to get out of this situation

Well, I suggest the jig is up - it appears she has made a police report or her insurance company has. I suggest you consider a consultation with a local attorney who can help you to fill out the required police report.

And possibly smooth it over with your insurance company.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Am I going to jail
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't know what to do
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What should I say to my insurance company

No. No. There is no jail involved.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What should I do

I cannot tell you what to do. I can only provide information. I suggest you should at least consider a consult with a local attorney. You may be fined, but you would not be sentenced to any incarceration.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How much would they fine me for

A class c misdemeanor is a max $500 fine.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It would be on my record, I can't have it on my record at all

Yes. You would have a conviction. So I suggest you consult with a local attorney who can provide you representation and advice. We can only provide you information to help you make informed decisions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What should I say to the detective, I called them before making an appointment w the attourney because my mom made me, they didn't answer but I left my name and number

I suggest you tell the detective you will make the report once you consult with your local attorney. Or don't take the call back and have your local attorney call the detective or give the detective the number to your attorney.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Wouldn't that make things worse? I'd be completely guilty and wouldn't my fine exceed $500?

It depends on the amount of damage to the vehicles. But as a class C misdemeanor it is as follows:

§ 12.23. CLASS C MISDEMEANOR.

An individual adjudged guilty of a Class C misdemeanor shall be punished by a fine not to exceed $500.

Again, here is the law

(1) does not require towing; and

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
for a fact no more than$500?

If the damage is less than $200 yes, that is what the Texas law says.

If the damage is more than $200 then it is going to be a class b and the penalty is as follows:

Sec. 12.22. CLASS B MISDEMEANOR. An individual adjudged guilty of a Class B misdemeanor shall be punished by:

(1) a fine not to exceed $2,000;

(2) confinement in jail for a term not to exceed 180 days; or

(3) both such fine and confinement

However, I suggest, there should not be any jail time unless you have a horrendous criminal background. And that the fine would be less than the $2000 max.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is my car

Thank you. I am sorry to see you have damage. I am not a body repair shop and have no idea what it will cost.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I wouldn't go to jail or get finder printed but wouldn't this be on my criminal record?..... I don't have a criminal record but this would be the first of so

Yes, you would have a misdemeanor conviction, unless you have a local attorney who could negotiate a plea agreement for you where it is a deferred adjudication. That means once you complete a probationary period the matter would no longer be on your record.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Even if she hit me

Yes, because you left the scene. That's the criminal charge. But as I originally stated more than an hour ago, you left because you could not communicate with her as you could not understand her.

It is late here on the east coast and I will be signing off soon. If you have other questions, you can continue to post them here and I will reply first thing tomorrow. Or if you provide a positive rating for my time and information, and still have more questions in this regard, I will reply first thing in the morning. Thank you.

Samuel II
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law