How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 33554
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a probation officer make me go to treatment if it will

Customer Question

Can a probation officer make me go to treatment if it will put me in financially bankruptcy
JA: Probation issues can be stressful, but getting correct information is key to getting control of a situation. Fortunately, the attorneys have a lot of experience with this, and I'd love to connect you with the best fit.
Customer: Can you connect me to someone in Minnesota
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I can't afford one this has cost me about 8.000 fallers all ready
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: It is a 5th degree possession charge with a failed u.a violation
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

A probation officer can require you to go to treatment and they generally don't concern themselves with the effect on your financial situation, unfortunately. Have you explained the situation to them and, if so, what did they say (I bet I know)?

You can file a motion with the court to oppose this and to ask the court not to require this type of treatment or to go to a different kind that doesn't cause the financial hardship. You need a lawyer to do this, it shouldn't be expensive, and if you can't afford one you can ask for one to be appointed.

Related Criminal Law Questions