How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27760
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am involved in a domestic violence case involving a police

Customer Question

I am involved in a domestic violence case involving a police officer who is my childrens father and i want to recant my statement against him
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Texas 06/132016
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: It was a verbal threat say he would punch me in the face and he could get away with it because he is a police officer but his mother says he only said that because he was upset
JA: Is there anything else the Criminal Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Yes there was a case in feb but the d a dropped the charges against me but im still listed as the assualter
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

If you are the complainant in this case, you need to get the name of the prosecutor assigned to the defendant's case and tell the DA that you'd like to recant your statement against him. The DA needs your testimony to win the case, and so he will hear you out, even though it is not policy for a DA to drop a domestic case.

This case does not belong to you any more but to the DA who can go forward with charges no matter what you want to do. So if the DA is not cooperative, you could enlist the aid of the defense lawyer, tell him that you've been trying to get the case dropped but that the DA won't let you take back your statements against him. Ask how you can help the defense.

Typically, once the defense attorney and a complainant join forces and try to convince a prosecutor to drop charges, something favorable to the defense can be worked out.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.