How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 16629
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A friend of mine is lives in Texas and is serving a 10yr

Customer Question

Hello. A friend of mine is lives in Texas and is serving a 10yr sentence for burglary. Prior to this sentence, he received 6 yrs probation for aggrevated sexual assault of a minor. He was then required to register as a sex offender. After completing 3 months of his probation, he received the 10yr sentence for burglary. He has been in jail since 2014 and comes up for parole in August 2016. If he is released, will he be on parole and probation.
JA: Since parole regulations vary, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Yes, this is in Texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet, that is my next step. He had asked me to look for halfway houses, but a manager at one of the houses informed me that our county, Travis County, is not accepting Registered Sex Offender Parolees at this time. I was just wondering if this restriction would apply to him since he will not be on parole for the sex offense.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I think that is about it. Thank you.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, generally, if someone is given 10 year sentence and the released early on parole, that convicted person would be released on parole and since the person is a registered sex offender, then the person would be considered a registered sex offender, then the person would be banned from halfway house, which prohibits registered sex offenders, regardless as to why the person is on parole.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!