How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Blake Your Own Question
Blake, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 44
Experience:  Counsel at Warningstar Intelligence
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Blake is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a natural born US citizen, with a very old drug felony

Customer Question

I'm a natural born US citizen, with a very old drug felony on my record, due to an addiction. It wasn't violent in any way, nor are there any other incidents, violent or otherwise. I'm a vet and model citizen, but as I understand it, I have lost certain rights such as 2nd amendment, passport and travel, and who knows what else?
Would it be prudent to renounce my US citizenship, and list it as simply American to escape these unfair restrictions of freedom? If so, what would I lose? What would I gain? How much does it cost? Is it difficult to do? Would there be retribution by the government?
I'm almost 60 years old, and can't travel or hunt as i am led to believe, so the pros and cons must be realistically looked at, one mistake has taken all I love away, and non US citizens are enjoying benefits and freedoms formerly enjoyed by only citizens and those who payed into it all their lives, that seems to have changed and if there's a benefit for me to remain a citizen, I'd certainly like to know about it.
The main question is what are the costs, pros and cons of renouncing my citizenship?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Blake replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a practicing attorney and an expert in Criminal Law. I would be happy to help you with this.