Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My 2 sons received a disorderly conduct engage in fighting

Customer Question

My 2 sons received a disorderly conduct engage in fighting charge. Should they plead guilty will this be on their record or is it best to eat not guilty
JA: The Criminal Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: 1 son is 16 and the other is 13. A kid called their colored friend a ni**er...excuse my language and threw a punch in both their directions to which both my sons hit back
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Criminal Lawyer should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this. Please tell me what state they are charged in? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If they plead guilty..which they did throw a punch...will it affect them getting jobs and get a higher fine. If they plead not guilty and go to court they'll still end up with a fine?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
This is considered a summary offense in PA (90 days in jail and a fine of up to $500) or a misdemeanor (year in jail and a fine of up to $2,500).
Either way, this would be on their background if they plead guilty, because pleading guilty means a CONVICTION.
Therefore, someone in their situation may wish to plead NOT GUILTY, and then either:
1) Take a plea deal which may offer no conviction (no jail, lesser fine, and/or no record), or
2) Take their chances at trial (if acquitted, then charges dismissed).
I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pleading guilty will give them jail time. They're both under 18
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

I am going to assume they are charged as adults unless you tell me that this is before a juvenile court.

No, the Court has a decision to make - if they plead or are found guilty, then they can get jail time or simply a fine. Up to the Judge.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!