How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27059
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Confused about gun laws in Texas . Got a possession charge

Customer Question

Confused about gun laws for felons in Texas . Got a possession charge years ago . completed probation . no other arrests. been over five years . got my voter rights back but not sure about owning a gun . Want to be safe and with in the law .
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Texas , 2004
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: that was my only arrest.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

If you were convicted of a felony, Texas will restore partial gun rights 5 years after the completion of your sentence. But all that means is that you can keep a gun in the house. You may not take it anywhere outside of the home.

Unfortunately in addition to Texas' restrictions, the Federal government does not recognize a partial restoration of gun rights. So even if Texas is willing to let you keep a gun in the house for your own protection, you would still be guilty of a Federal offense if for any reason the Federal government had reason to find it there.

The Federal government will restore your gun rights after an expungement, set aside or pardon. But in Texas, you would have to be pardoned first to get your conviction expunged.

So to get your full state and federal gun rights back, you need a pardon from your governor. Any former offender can apply for one without the need of a lawyer.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.