How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27126
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Me and my boyfriend had a heated argument in front of my job

Customer Question

Me and my boyfriend had a heated argument in front of my job someone else cakked the cops and qhen he went to pull off in the car I jumpes on and fell off hurt my leg and qhen the cos came I gave his name and told them what happened, they put a warrant out and I never field changes or made a complaint. Now he has a warrant for smiple assault but we he is out on bail in NY for another charge. How can I help him
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?
Customer: The smiple assault is in Harrisburg, PA and he is out on bail in NYC, but I never fieled charges and I dont wish to comply with the police in harrisburg and he thinks he is going to go to jail, but the warrant officer said there will be no arrest just an ROR
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I called his lawyer in the case in NYC, but I dont want him to go to jail cause he never layed a hand on me
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Criminal Lawyer should know?
Customer: Yes I told the officer the day of the event that I didnt wish to press charges and they said ok and then three weeks later (today) thet came with a warrant for him and I dont wish to have him in jail
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Have you spoken to the prosecutor about dropping these charges?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning, we haven't gone to court and the cops added to the statement and I dont wish to charge him because he didnt do anything. How can I ask gast to drop the changes and have the warrant removed from the harrisburg pa police department
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

There's no way that you can get the police warrant lifted because it's not your case. It belongs to the Pennsylvania DA's Office. However, you can speak to the Pennsylvania prosecutor in charge of your boyfriend's case and let them know that he never laid a hand on you and that you do not wish him to be prosecuted.

The DA's Office has the power to go forward with these charges whether you want to or not, and policy in general is not to allow a complainant to dismiss. But as you didn't ask for your boyfriend's arrest or make a complaint you may be able to convince the prosecutor that you are in no danger from him and you want the charges dropped.

If the prosecutor agrees to drop the case, the prosecutor can get the police to lift the arrest warrant. Otherwise, his best bet would be for him to get a lawyer in Pennsylvania who can arrange for his voluntary surrender in a way that minimizes any time he would have to spend in the system. Once he has counsel, you can talk to his lawyer and let the lawyer know you've been trying to drop. Ask him what you can do to help your boyfriend's case.

Typically when a defense attorney and the complainant on a DV case are on the same side, something very favorable to the defendant can be worked out.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.