How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 33554
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother in law is incarcerated at Utah State in Draper

Customer Question

My brother in law is incarcerated at Utah State in Draper Utah. During his time he had had his entire lower intestine removed for medical reasons This created issues that when he urinates he will simultaneously defecate and he suffers from anal leakage.He therefor stops taking on food ANd water etc at 4 in afternoon not to have issues or accidents in his cell causing contamination for all including his cell mate
Issue is that when they ask for urine sample at 7 he cannot produce and get penalized because of it. What can be done
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

This is a civil rights issue under the Americans with Disabilities Act.In Ca, complaints about the CA prison system are handled through the Office of the Inspector General. Their website is at

If he doesn't get any satisfaction through that process then the only other option is to go to the federal courts and ask for help. He probably want to try and hire a lawyer to help with it because it is a difficult topic.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You gave me CALIFORNIA. Website he is in Utah state please give me Utah
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, that isn't showing on my page it is showing as a California question by my screen is garbled at the top.

Everything else is the same but in Utah he can first go through the prison grievance system per:

If that doesn't work he can hire a private lawyer or contact the ACLU discussed in this article:

Utah doesn't have the same state offices as CA and don't go out of their way to make complaints easy.