Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

Someone I know overdrew their account $1500 because someone

Customer Question

Someone I know overdrew their account $1500 because someone reversed a check. Now They owe the bank. 2 criminal detectives show up at her home. Is that a criminal case. Do they need counsil, or just pay it.
JA: You're dealing with a tough issue. But don't worry -- you're in good hands. Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Indiana
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. Was told to come talk to detectives Monday.. Im not sure.
JA: Is there anything else the Criminal Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Nothing.. other than the check came from a secret shopper check. The person thought yhe check did not post, but it did.. So the money was spent and they reversed it. The person is a permanent resident.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

Yes. Depositing a fraudulent or bad check is a serious felony criminal offense, so not only it is important to compensate the bank any overdrawn amount right away, but also, it is essential to hire an experienced local criminal defense attorney as soon as possible and not to make any statements to the police, without this local attorney present and only if this local attorney advises the suspect to make any statements in the attorney's presence.

You can find an experienced and skilled local criminal law attorney by using this established and reputable attorney information / referral websites:

www.lexmundi.com
www.martindale.com
www.lawyers.com
www.legalmatch.com
When, choosing a local attorney to represent you, it would be a good idea to choose someone who has a practice exclusively dedicated to criminal law, has at least 10 years of experience and handled similar matters and also regularly practices before the court located in the jurisdiction where your matter might be heard.
I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.

Thank you.