LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience
15277592

I have a warrant in another state can I still get a Florida

Customer Question

I have a warrant in another state can I still get a Florida driver's license
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?
Customer: December 2012 in Oregon
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not about getting a license but have talked to an attorney about my warrant
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: Warrant won't be lifted failure to appear on a dui
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Criminal Lawyer should know?
Customer: That is the only thing that may stop me from getting a license
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

A warrant from another state, by itself, will not prevent you from getting a driver's license in your state of residence.

However, a pending unpaid citation in another state or a warrant for a failure to appear in a traffic citation case in another state will prevent you from getting a new license. The warrant has nothing to do with it though---rather it is the traffic court's pending action against you that will result in a problem in your home state.

As you say your warrant is for a failure to appear, before you can get a license in your home state issued, you will have to deal with the out of state court system.

If a warrant has been issued for you because you failed to appear at court to answer to the citation or charge made against you, then you will need to contact the criminal court clerk’s office at the courthouse and ask what the amount of bond is for the warrant. The warrant was issued because of your failure to appear at court as directed. You will then need to go to the court and post the bond on the bench warrant. The bond is usually between $500 and $1,000, cash only, and then you will get another court date to appear to answer to the underlying charge as well as to your failure to appear at the first hearing.

If you are fearful of going to the court to post bond, you can have a friend do it, or even a local attorney. However, they are not waiting at court to arrest you. Call ahead to ask how much the bond amount on the warrant is---take in the cash to pay the bond, and you will be given a new hearing date.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?

In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I able to get a hard ship driving license with my warrant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Unfortunately, you will not be able to get any kind of a driver's license, in any state, until you actually deal with the warrant as well as the underlying DUI out of Oregon, by appearing in Oregon before the court and finalizing any penalties there.

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

You may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further.

I wish you well,

Doug