How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 29787
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just have a quick question. My 19 year old s on received a

Customer Question

Hi! I just have a quick question. My 19 year old s on received a non traffic citation for underage drinking, his second offense (unfortunately) The first time he lost his permit for 90 days, it stated in the citation letter when we received in the mail and he had to pay a fine. His second one DID NOT state in the fee letter from the township about loosing his learner's permit. He received a "NON TRAFFIC" citation. He receive something from the DMV that he is loosing his learner's permit for another year. I'm not saying he did anything wrong, he did and he paid the fine. I just don't understand why he's loosing his permit if the violation was NON TRAFFIC. Can you assist me with this question?
JA: Regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Bloomsburg, PA
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. The reason I didn't he attempted to give "false information" and the officer said he wasn't going to write him up for it, but he wrote "wrong into" on the citation. he said it was up to the judge. They charged him with attempt to purchase and he paid the fine. He recently lost his wallet which had his permit in it, and he has to return it. He tried calling DMV, to see what he has to do, but it was just a recording and he can't get anywhere. When I've checked the website, I can't find anything pertaining to this which has me thinking why he has to loose it.
JA: Is there anything else the Criminal Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

It's a non-traffic offense because your son wasn't driving, and a conviction doesn't go add points to his driving record. However, Title 75 Pa. Cons. Stat., Section 1532(d) unfortunately requires the DMV to suspend a person's license or permit if they are under 21 and convicted of certain alcohol-related offenses, including possession or attempt to purchase. This is a civil penalty imposed by the state agency. The judge is allowed to include the suspension as part of the criminal penalty, but doesn't have to. However, the way the statute is worded, the DMV unfortunately doesn't have any discretion - the penalty for a second conviction is a one year suspension of the person's driving privilege.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. If I did not address the specific thing that you wanted to know, it may not have come across clearly to me, so please restate that question. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your quick response. I do understand.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Have a good day.

Related Criminal Law Questions