How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Colleen Grady Your Own Question
Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 555
Experience:  Attorney and Counselor at Law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Colleen Grady is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need some help regarding a public intoxication citation :

Customer Question

I need some help regarding a public intoxication citation
JA: The Criminal Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Criminal Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I was arrested a few weeks ago in the city of Dallas for public intoxication. The citation claims that it is not a plead of guilty and that I need to pay the fine or set up a court date. Is this accurate or am I reading it wrong? When I payed the fine online I pleaded no contest.
JA: My brothers got into lots of trouble with the law when they were young. The Criminal Lawyer will know how to get you the best outcome. Is there anything else important you think the Criminal Lawyer should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I will help you with your question. I have been an attorney for 27 years and I was a prosecutor for 9 years. Please give me a few minutes. I am preparing a complete answer to your question.

Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.

Under Texas Law, Sec. 49.02. PUBLIC INTOXICATION. (a) A person commits an offense if the person appears in a public place while intoxicated to the degree that the person may endanger the person or another.

This is considered a Class "C" misdemeanor. This is the lowest level of crime and is punishable by a fine not more than $500.

If you made a plea of nolo contendere online, this means you are not contesting the charges. This is the same as a guilty plea. However, this type of plea could not be used against you if someone were to sue you in civil court for the same actions. By paying the fine online, you agreed to the charges. The only other alternative to paying the fine, would be going to court to face trial.

If this is your only conviction, you would be able to apply for expunge (clean) your record after 180 days from the time of your arrest. This right is found under Art 55.01 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure.

Please let me know if I can help more. If you are satisfied with my help, please rate me.