How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 30168
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got a deferred disposition and i was wondering if i could

Customer Question

I got a deferred disposition and i was wondering if i could appeal it?
JA: The Criminal Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Im in the process
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I got charged with a poession charge and they gave me di
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Criminal Lawyer should know?
Customer: Deferred disposition is it to late to appeal and go to trial
JA: My brothers got into lots of trouble with the law when they were young. The Criminal Lawyer will know how to get you the best outcome. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

When it is available, a deferred disposition is usually the best case scenario. It means, at the end of the day, the charges against you will be dismissed and you'll be able to get them removed from your record. If it were possible to remove the deferred disposition, your case would go to trial. The state would seek to prove that you're guilty of possession - which basically means they just need to show you had something you shouldn't have and you knew about it. And then your record would show a conviction if the jury finds against you. You could be sentenced to pay a fine and serve a term of probation, including drug tests - very similar to the terms of a deferred disposition (although usually less favorable). These cases are tough to win unless you have a witness who will swear they planted drugs on you without your knowledge or it was a case of mistaken identity. For that reason, deferred disposition is almost always beneficial to the person who receives it.

I'm explaining that because, unfortunately, it's not something that can be appealed. An appeal means you're arguing that the judge or jury made a mistake in your case. To get a deferred disposition, you have to plead guilty, and there's no way to appeal your own plea. It is sometimes possible to file a Motion to Withdraw Guilty Plea, but those are VERY difficult to get. Essentially, you have to be able to prove to the judge that your will was overcome, and that you did not knowingly and voluntarily plead guilty. It's not enough that the terms of the deferred disposition aren't those that were explained to you, although if no one explained that you'd have to be on probation and do drug tests, that might help. Just be aware, again, that withdrawing the plea doesn't necessarily make the punishment go away - you'll have to go to trial.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any other questions about this?