How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Colleen Grady Your Own Question
Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 555
Experience:  Attorney and Counselor at Law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Colleen Grady is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Would this type of process work in the case of emotional

Customer Question

Would this type of process work in the case of emotional abuse?
JA: My brothers got into lots of trouble with the law when they were young. The Criminal Lawyer will know how to get you the best outcome. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet. I'm barely starting my research.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I feel that I might be the victim of emotional abuse. I have a estranged sister in her mid fifties who comes in to get mail because my father allows her to use my home address for her. Mail drop. When she shows & I'm there, she'll either ignore everyone & walk past me or start insulting. I have also noticed property & petty cash missing. She comes in basically 24/7 without prior notice or courtesy of calling ahead. Needless to say it's getting pretty concerning because the police have been called out on several occasions..
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Criminal Lawyer should know?
Customer: I have kept a partial journal of these episodes. When I've tried to talk to family; I've been shut down by them repeatedly questioning my psychological state of mind. I have gone to a therapist but not recently...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I will help you with your questions. I have been an attorney for 27 years and I was a district attorney for 9 years.

It would be helpful for me to know what state you are in so I can give you specific laws and resources in your area.

You indicated that your father allows your sister to use your home address as a mail drop. If this is your house (not your father's), you can change the locks and tell your sister she can no longer come to your home. If this is your father's house, this is not an option for you.

You indicated she has insulted you. Has she made any threats to you? Are you alarmed or annoyed by her behavior? If so, most states have harassment laws that protect people who are victims of threats and alarming behavior. You can file a police report against her for such behavior. You can also try to get an order of protection against your sister so that she must stay away from your home.

Most states have laws protecting disabled and elderly adults from economic and emotional abuse by relatives and caretakers. If you give me the information about your state, I will give you more specific information.

If you are satisfied with my help, please rate me.

Related Criminal Law Questions