How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Colleen Grady Your Own Question
Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 555
Experience:  Attorney and Counselor at Law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Colleen Grady is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I find out if a record has been expunged? : No. Is it

Customer Question

How do I find out if a record has been expunged?
JA: The Criminal Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. Is it true records shoyld be expunged after 8 years?
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Criminal Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: In 1980 my husband was sentenced to 6 months in Columbus OH for breaking and entering into a place of business like a Home Depot. He needs to know ifthat has been expungef and if he can purchase a rifle or shotgun for hunting.
JA: My brothers got into lots of trouble with the law when they were young. The Criminal Lawyer will know how to get you the best outcome. Is there anything else the Criminal Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: We are attempting to gain either foster parentung or adoption of a 13 year old girl we have known since birth and is now in foster care. We want ti make dure everything is ok and he wants to hunt.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I will help you with this question. I have been an attorney for 27 years and a district attorney for 9 years. Please give me a few minutes to draft a complete response to your answer.

Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.

Under Ohio law, expungement is only available in very limited cases such as such as certain firearm offenses and offenses committed by victims of human trafficking. The expungement law changed in 2012. You have to apply for a sealing of records. Your husband is eligible to apply if the crime he was convicted of is NOT one of the following crimes:

· Bail forfeiture in a traffic case

· Any first-degree misdemeanor committed against a minor

· A first degree felony

· A second degree felony

· A drivers' license violation

If a judge grants an order to seal the record of a person’s conviction, the person is restored to all rights and privileges not otherwise restored by the termination of sentence or by final release on parole.

If you want to do a Record check first to see what is on the record, go to the Franklin County Sheriff's Department at*****in Columbus.

If this case is on your husband’s record, you can ask to seal his records by going to the Franklin County Municipal Court Building at 375 South High Street. and filling out an application to seal records.

A $50 non-refundable filing fee must be paid at the time the application to seal a conviction. The application is then filed with the court. It is possible there will be a hearing where the judge will ask questions.

Please let me know if you have more questions. If you are satisfied with my help, please rate me.