How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27109
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Owi from Iowa but I have a Nebraska license : No : I was in

Customer Question

Owi from Iowa but I have a Nebraska license
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I was in an accident and I refused a chemical test. I was arrested in Iowa but I have a Nebraska drivers license. I have a copy of my charges and they are losing control of my vehicle and leaving the scene of an accident. After I was release the officer gave me my license and on one of the papers it says he didn't issue me a temporary license because I have an out of state license.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: I have a dui on my record from two years ago for Nebraska.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

What is your question with regard to this incident?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I receive an owi in Iowa will that restrict me from driving in Nebraska
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


Iowa can only take away your driving privileges, since you do not have an Iowa license. But every state will honor Iowa's suspension of your driving privileges.

Also, Iowa and Nebraska are members of the Interstate Driving Compact. That's an agreement among member states to hold drivers accountable for serious driving related offenses under a one driver/one license theory.

Because of that agreement, Iowa will reach out to Nebraska and inform the of your convictions. Nebraska will suspend your actual driver's license and can treat your OWI as if it was Nebraska's own.

Related Criminal Law Questions