How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Colleen Grady Your Own Question
Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 555
Experience:  Attorney and Counselor at Law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Colleen Grady is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was arrested in Lancaster PA. I do not think I can afford

Customer Question

I was arrested for solicitation for prostitution in Lancaster PA. I do not think I can afford an atty. Should I try and contact the DA before the hearing about a plea deal?
JA: My brothers got into lots of trouble with the law when they were young. The Criminal Lawyer will know how to get you the best outcome. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Criminal Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: Arrested for solicitation of prostitution in Lancaster PA. No criminal record, first offense. Desire to ask for a plea deal.
JA: Is there anything else the Criminal Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I am aware of. I will get the paperwork with court date in 2 weeks, I want to know if it is possibel to contact the DA before I get the paperwork.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I will help you with your questions. I have been an attorney for 27 years and I was a DA for 9 years. I do not believe anyone should be without an attorney. The DA is not your friend and looks to secure convictions as a representative of the government. You are at a disadvantage when you do not have your own attorney. You are facing having this on a criminal record that will impact your life forever.

If you give me a few minutes, I will draft an answer giving you information on possible plea outcomes as a first time offender.

I will also give you information on finding an attorney in your area, if you decide do so.

Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.

If this your only arrest for this, you would be charged with a Misdemeanor of the third degree, which is punishable by Third-Degree Misdemeanor — Maximum sentence of one year in prison and maximum fine of $2,500

However, if a person arrested for this knows they have HIV or AIDS, it is a Felony in the Third Degree — Maximum sentence of seven years in prison and maximum fine of $15,000

You should realize that an attorney experienced in defending against such a charge will be able to give you options to fight the charge. He or she can determine if there is a strong case against you. If money was exchanged, the case is stronger. Also, depending on what was said, the case may be weak. Also, there may be an entrapment defense where you pressured by an undercover to do something you would not normally do.

A knowledgeable attorney can help you try to get a plea deal to ARD or AMP I/II. These programs may help you to avoid having a criminal record if you complete community service, counseling and/or pay fines and successfully complete a period of probation. These programs are up to the discretion of the District Attorney and you need to ask the DA to allow you to enter into such a program. You would argue that you do not have a criminal record. Talk about any positives such has family, work and involvement in the community.

Here is a resource to find an attorney in your area if you decide to get one:

You can get a half hour consultation with a Criminal Attorney for $30. After that, you can decide whether you want to hire an attorney. You would also have to pay a $15 referral fee.

Please let me know if I can help more. If you are satisfied with my help please rate me.