How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 9908
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If i write a statement to the court friend that has a

Customer Question

if i write a statement to the court for a friend that has a restraining order against them .
and ask the statement to be sealed for the courts eyes only am i protected?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately no; first the court won't accept papers from a third party; rather one of the parties need to submit it to the court as an attachment to a legal filing (ie motion, stipulation, petition etc).

Since the court cannot appear to favor one side over another, anything that is presented to the judge will be served on the other party- as each party has a right to cross examine witnesses, examine evidence so they can challenge its validity, etc.

If one mailed the letter to the judge, the clerk would dispose of it and not present it to the judge.

Under the Judicial Code of Conduct, a judge could be disbarred if they allowed for ex parte (one sided) communication.

So if the party wishes to have the statement considered, it would need to be submitted to the court and sent to the other party.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.
I hope the information provided was useful.

Here is a link to the bar association's legal referral site:

Should you have further questions please post here; otherwise kindly

--- Rate Positively---

so the site credits me for assisting you.

Thank you and take care!

Related Criminal Law Questions