Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Pearl Wilson What confuses you? Type your message...I've

Customer Question
Pearl Wilson What confuses you? Type your...
Pearl Wilson
What confuses you?
Type your message...I've been receiving harassing phones calls from my boyfriends daughter mother for about 6 mos. I only have proof that she's been calling for about one month. I placed an app on my phone that unmasked that it was her blocking her number and calling me upwards of 15 times per day. I have received and in box email from her in so many words threating me, I want to know what I can do about this legally.?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have tracked and printed the call's she has placed through Trap Call from 4/13/2016- 4/24/2016 a total of 37 calls.
5/25/2016
Criminal Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you this evening.

This is criminal harassment under Virginia law, and you could file a police report. Harassment means to repeatedly annoy or attack a person or group in such a way as to cause anxiety or fear for safety. Several different types of harassment are against Virginia law.

Prank telephone calls are a form of harassment. The law states: Any person who uses obscene, vulgar, profane, or indecent language or threatens any illegal or immoral act with intent to coerce, intimidate, or harass any person on a telephone or through a text message is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. (Code of Virginia § 18.2-427).

If a person calls, pages or texts another person with the intent to annoy that person, both the person making the call and any other person who allows use of his/her telephone are guilty of a Class 3misdemeanor. (Code of Virginia § 18.2-429).

It is also illegal to harass someone using a computer or computer network. If a person has intent to coerce, intimidate, or harass and communicates obscene or indecent language or threatens an illegal or immoral act, the person is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. (Code of Virginia § 18.2-152.7:1).

You should contact the authorities about filing a report.

If you need clarification or additional information, please reply and I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, kindly remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars/happy faces before signing out, so I am credited for my time and assistance today. Thank you!

Did you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating. Thank you.

Just following up with you. Did you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating. Thank you.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer