How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 29972
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was charged with breaking and entering felony into my then

Customer Question

I was charged with breaking and entering felony into my then girlfriends apartment.
This was reduced to misdemeanor burglary. I thought it was deferred, but I was wrong.
I live in Iowa. It's been 16 years. I've held a job through this time. I am married. Have 2 step kids and one grandchild. I have been a law abiding citizen through the years.
Is there anyway to get the misdemeanor sealed. I paid restitution, paid for the damaged door. After spending a night in a holding cell, that was enough to change me and I told my defense attorney that. I feel having the stigma of having this charge on my record doesn't fit the crime. I know that when a sentence is passed, the person is considered. I was working. I had no prior crimes. I made a mistake, but seems like I am being over punished. The only thing it accomplishes is punishing me further and making life even more difficult.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened. Iowa law unfortunately only includes a process for having alcohol-related offenses from your record, which means minor in possession charges or public intoxication. All other convictions remain a part of your record for life under the current law (or until you turn 80). Even a deferred conviction is still part of your record. I understand how you feel, but there isn't any law that would allow you to have it removed. You can try writing a letter to your state legislators and share your story and encouraging friends and family to do the same. Or you could try circulating a petition on and forwarding it to the government after you get several thousand signatures. But I'm afraid a change to the law is required before you can have the charge expunged. I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please rate my answer positively to ensure I am paid for the time I spent answering your question. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.Good luck.